Veterans Preferred - Planning Engineer
Company: American Water
Posted on: March 20, 2023
Military Veterans are Encouraged to Apply. -Share Our Purpose. Be
Yourself. Feel Valued.
People are the heart of our business. As an American Water
employee, you will be offered a competitive salary and health
benefits package, along with opportunities to develop, grow, and
evolve your career. Our benefits packages focus on key areas such
as health & wellness, emotional & well-being, and savings for
current & future goals.
We are Beautifully Different. We strongly believe having diversity
across our company makes us more successful and helps us provide
essential services to our customers. We are stronger because we
embrace different ideas, viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds.
American Water is the best choice for your next role! Click here
for more information on our inclusion, diversity, and equity
American Water is the best choice for your next role! With a
history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE: AWK) is the
largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water
and wastewater utility company. The company employs approximately
6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and
regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an
estimated 14 million people in 24 states. American Water provides
safe, clean, affordable, and reliable water services to our
customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information on
American Water, visit--- amwater.com ---and follow American Water
on--- Twitter ,--- Facebook ---and--- LinkedIn .
** This position can be located in either Indiana American Water's
Greenwood, IN office or our Gary IN office.
Responsible for strategic long term water system planning and
recommending projects or approaches to address needs related to
source of supply, treatment, storage, pumping and transmission of
water. The analysis and recommended solutions will affect the
performance and operational integrity of water systems within
American Water. A Planning Engineer also has technical and project
management supervision over consulting Project Managers/Engineers,
and/or project support engineers or technicians. This position is
also responsible for conducting or reviewing water system capacity
and service evaluations associated with water service extension
projects or other potential service growth opportunities. Prepare
or assist in the preparation of detailed asset investment plans
considering the cost, timing, prioritization, operational need and
risk, strategic investment fit and other pertinent factors
surrounding individual projects or investment programs.
- Coordination and preparation of strategic water system planning
studies (comprehensive or targeted, issue based studies as
appropriate) as assigned.
- Preparation and maintenance of asset investment plans and
strategic capital expenditure plans as assigned. Plans to
accurately address operational needs, operational efficiencies,
asset management and strategic investment goals set by the
Corporation based upon prioritization models.
- System capacity evaluations, analysis of source, production,
distribution, storage, or other system deficiencies as assigned to
support ongoing operations, service extension requests or regional
- Ability to serve as a competent technical resource on Water
- Planning matters including capital planning, safe yield
analysis, demand projections, production adequacy, transmission and
distribution adequacy, computerized hydraulic modeling and
analysis, water conservation, regionalization, and other pertinent
subjects as needed to support operational and business needs.
- Present results of engineering analysis to interested parties
within and outside of the company, including expert testimony,
presentations to Regulatory agencies and Senior Company
- Pursues educational opportunities and professional development
to enhance performance and contributions to the organization.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and
providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open
and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and
information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues
across the business.
Key Accountabilities Continued
- Support Engineering initiatives established by the Regional
Engineering Directors (i.e., asset management or other operational
- Competencies (from the Water Division Competency
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes and resolves business
issues through the application of critical reasoning skills and
general business experience.
- Delivers Results - Delivers bottom line results through bold,
decisive actions, working through risks and uncertainty to create
- Continually raises standards and promotes entrepreneurial
- Influencing - The ability to articulate an objective or idea in
a compelling manner, so that others are persuaded to act on its
- Organizational Awareness - The knowledge and development of
formal and informal business relationships with key stakeholders,
internal and external to the organization, that enable business
objectives to be accomplished.
- Sharing Knowledge & Expertise - Drives business performance by
developing and contributing specific technical or professional
knowledge, skills and experience.
- Demonstrates a professional attitude.
- Strategic Focus - Looks at the big picture, thinks about the
business as a whole, both within its own environment and in the
global marketplace, and creatively identifies new horizons.
- Teamworking - Is committed to working collaboratively to
achieve business goals, building cohesiveness and identity with a
work group, and valuing individual perspectives and
- Demonstrated competency in asset planning, water system
comprehensive master planning, distribution system hydraulic
modeling or equivalent water system design experience.
- Broad knowledge of Engineering (planning, design, construction)
related to water facilities.
- Working knowledge of regulatory developments, new technology
and current trends in water quality, treatment and Engineering
- Applicable knowledge of water resources industry, business and
environmental regulatory field.
- Knowledge of Company Operations.
- Leadership ability and interpersonal skills, as well as, solid
verbal and written communication skills and keen listening
- Detail oriented to conduct through analysis and evaluations,
render and implement timely decisions and recommendations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license required.
- Minimum 5 years experience in water resources planning.
- Up to 20%
- 80% office with occasional work in the field.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing---
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and
applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion,
marital status, citizenship, or because they arean individual with
a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by
federal, state, and local laws.
Keywords: American Water, Greenwood , Veterans Preferred - Planning Engineer, Engineering , Greenwood, Indiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...